Supporting Timor-Leste’s efforts in achieving its Sustainable Development Goals
The Australia Timor-Leste Partnership for Human Development (PHD) is a ten-year program that supports the Government of Timor-Leste to deliver services in health, education, water, sanitation, gender, disability, nutrition and social protection.
PHD represents a significant investment to ensure that this crucial next decade is not lost, and that Timorese people will be able to live with dignity: with literate, numerate, planned families living in healthy, sanitary conditions, with access to basic nutrition and appropriate services.
The PHD program was initiated in 2016 by the Australian Government to work with the Government of Timor-Leste to enhance the country’s human development. The program’s mission is:
To support the people and Government of Timor-Leste to build and sustain healthy, educated and prosperous individuals and communities, who live with dignity and determine their own future.
PHD is contributing to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- No poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- Zero hunger – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Good health and well-being – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Quality education – Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning.
- Gender equality – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Clean water and sanitation – Ensure access to water and sanitation for all.
- Reduced inequalities – Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Partnerships for the goals – Revitalise the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
PHD is a partnership between the Governments of Timor-Leste and Australia, implemented on behalf of the Australian Government by Abt Associates Australia. The program is supported by a range of development partners to leverage the best possible outcomes for Timorese people.
Where we work
PHD works at the national and municipal level in priority areas across Timor-Leste.
How We Work
Everything we do is guided by these key principles:
- Prioritise investments that support Timor Leste’s policies and priorities
- Work collaboratively across sectors to enhance development outcomes
- Prioritise investments that benefit women and girls
- Ensure service models are sustainable and affordable
- Work responsively and flexibly, but with an end goal in sight
- Continually analyse, and learn by doing
- Strive for innovative and transformational approaches to solve service delivery bottlenecks.